Find out if you can move to Australia

We’ve created a free 2-minute appraisal form to give you an idea of your chances to get a job in Australia and make the move here.

Get your free appraisal

Australian jobs in demand

We’ve helped thousands of people find jobs with Australian employers since 1998, and we can do the same for you. Apply for available jobs throughout Australia here.

View jobs

Are my qualifications recognised in Australia?

If you’re looking to move to Australia as a skilled migrant to work, it’s likely that your overseas qualifications will need to be assessed to ensure they’re in line with Australian standards.

Sadly, there’s no single authority in Australia which assesses or recognises all overseas qualifications. In actual fact, there are lots of stakeholders involved – and it’ll depend on your occupation and where you wish to move to as to who will assess your qualifications.

Ok, so what do I do?

Firstly, check out this comprehensive Skilled Occupations list for Australia. It’ll tell you whether your qualifications need to be assessed by an external agency and, if so, which assessment authority will be responsible for this.

What then?

As well as getting your qualifications assessed, you may also need to register with a licensing body to allow you to practise your occupation in Australia. This registration process can take months so it makes sense to try to get it started before you land in Australia.

Registering with the appropriate agency

Find your occupation on this list then read about if you need to register and if so, who you need to register with.

Focus on: healthcare professionals

If you’re in healthcare (including nurses, midwives and dental practitioners) and wish to practise in Australia, you’ll need to register with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulations Agency (AHPRA).

Consider beginning your registration process at least six months before travelling to Australia – registration can be a lengthy process and may delay your healthcare employment.

Make yourself attractive to prospective Australian employers by already having your registration underway.

Step 1: English Language Skills registration standard

If you didn’t complete your secondary education in English, you must demonstrate that you have the necessary English language skills for registration purposes. This means you must have:

  • A minimum score of 7 in each component of the IELTS academic module, OET or specified alternatives, with the exception of Pharmacy, which requires a minimum score of 7.5.
  • Test results to be obtained within two years prior to registration application.


However, you may be granted an exemption from the above requirements if you can provide evidence that you:

  • Completed secondary education that was taught and assessed in English in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland, South Africa, United Kingdom or United States of America; AND
  • Hold tertiary qualifications in the relevant professional discipline that was taught and assessed in English in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland, South Africa, United Kingdom or United States of America.

Step 2: other registration requirements

Here you can understand the standards you’ll need to meet to be able to register.

Start your journey to Australia…

Related posts

Australian taxation

The annual dates for the Australian income year are from 1 July to 30 June. This is important to note for anyone moving to the country as these dates may not coincide with those from your home country.

Annual leave in Australia

Australia‘s standard entitlement is four weeks per year, after the first year with a company. The first year’s annual leave is pro-rated for the amount of time with the company.

All Guides & Advice