TSS Visa

As of March 2018, the 457 Visa was replaced with the TSS Visa. It is similar in many ways to the 457, being a sponsored temporary skilled visa, but has both a short term and a long-term stream which determines how long you can stay and whether you are eligible for Permanent Residency down the track.

How does the TSS visa work?

With a TSS visa you can work in Australia for two to four years. You can bring your family with you (they can work and study) and you can travel in and out of Australia as often as you like.
Your prospective employer/sponsor must apply to be a sponsor to recruit overseas workers; nominate the positions they want to fill; recruit the overseas workers to fill the nominated positions; and act as a sponsor for employees applying for a visa.

You as the employee accept the offer of employment from the employer; apply for the visa; and meet all the conditions of your visa.
How do I know how long I can stay for?

The Department have two different Occupation lists, the Short term http://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/482-  and the Medium to Long Term http://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/482-.

The short term TSS Visa lasts for up to 2 years and can be renewed, giving a maximum stay of 6 years. There is no Permanent Residency option.

The Medium to Long term TSS Visa lasts up to 4 years and can also be renewed. Once you have been employed by one employer for 3 years or more, you can apply for the Permanent Residence through the Temporary Residence Transition stream of Employer Nominated Sponsorship (186).

Am I eligible for the TSS visa?

To apply for a TSS visa as an employee, your application must follow that of your sponsoring employer and you must meet the following criteria:

  • You must be sponsored by an employer to fill a nominated position.
  • You must work in a skilled occupation that’s been approved by the Australian Government on one of the occupation lists
  • You must have skills, qualifications, experience and an employment background which match those required for the position including at least 2 years’ work experience.
  • You must have English language skills equivalent to a test score of at least 4.5 for short term and 5 for medium to long term across the four test components in an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test, or higher. You may also be required to demonstrate these skills through a formal test.
  • You must be eligible for any relevant licences or registration required for the nominated position.
  • Your Sponsor must demonstrate that you are to be paid at least Australian Market Salary Rate that applies at the time a decision is made on your visa.
  • You must meet all health requirement
  • You must meet all character requirements.
  • If you are in Australia at the time of application, you must not have prohibitive restrictions or limitations placed on your current visa.
  • You must, if over the age of 18, be willing to declare your respect of Australian values and adhere to Australian law.

Changes in your employment

If your employment contract ends before your visa expires, you must notify the Department of Home Affairs. If you cannot find another employer willing to sponsor you, you are required by Australian law to leave the country within 60 days of your employment’s end.

Holders of the TSS visa can change employers without needing to apply for a new visa. All you need is for your new employer to lodge a nomination and you can start working for them once the nomination is approved.

Visa eligibility and approval depends on the applicant’s individual circumstances.